California proclaims Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Month
November is Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Month in the state of California, where nearly one million residents are impacted by dementia-related illnesses.
Through its proclamation, signed by Governor Gavin Newsom, California is acknowledging the significant challenge facing many families caring for someone with Alzheimer’s disease, which disproportionately affects women, Latinos, Black American and individuals with Down Syndrome.
The proclamation launches the Alzheimer’s Prevention and Preparedness Task Force, chaired by Maria Shriver, a former first lady of California. In addition, here are some other tools and resources the state is deploying as part of its announcement:
- Recognizes the significant challenge of Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias in California.
- Expands care into communities with dementia-friendly Adult Day Centers and a network of Alzheimer’s Disease Centers, Area Agencies on Aging, Regional Centers, and Caregiver Resource Centers.
- Designates November 2023 as “Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Month” in California, urging awareness, education, and support for those affected by Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias.
- Showcases California’s leadership in prevention through the Healthy Brain Initiative, operating in 13 counties, with a focus on reducing stigma, improving diagnosis rates, and supporting affected communities.
- Acknowledges the role of publicly funded centers in empowering diverse individuals living with Alzheimer’s disease and their families to lead dignified lives.
- Introduces the Dementia Care Aware program in partnership with the University of California, with the hope of setting a statewide standard for dementia screening.
California is at the forefront of dementia awareness, emphasizing the urgency for comprehensive strategies that address prevention, timely diagnosis, and quality care. With the highest number of people living with Alzheimer’s disease in the nation here in the Golden State, it underscores the widespread prevalence of dementia in the state.
By empowering individuals and families affected by dementia in all communities, eliminating stigma, expanding community-focused care, and fostering closer collaboration among local, county, and statewide partners, California aims to sustain efforts in raising awareness and supporting those navigating the challenges and triumphs of dementia care in their daily lives.
Hollenbeck Palms enhanced care
For more than 130 years, our Los Angeles dementia facility has been a cornerstone of support for the region. At Hollenbeck Palms, residents discover the ideal haven for a purposeful life. This vibrant community allows individuals to age with grace and independence in elegant apartments nestled within our secure, gated eight-and-a-half-acre garden campus.
Our Assisted Living and Health Care Center offers a wealth of amenities and conveniences, ensuring that every resident receives the support they need. For those seeking specialized care, our Hensel Memory Enhancement Center provides tailored assistance.
The Hensel Memory Enhancement Center
At Hollenbeck Palms, we hope that our residents experience the pinnacle of community living – where comfort, independence, and personalized care converge.
The Hensel Memory Enhancement Center at Hollenbeck Palms is a compassionate solution as Alzheimer’s disease or other causes of dementia symptoms progress. Recognizing the evolving needs of individuals, transitioning to more specialized care outside the home becomes crucial. While it’s a challenging decision for family caregivers, it often proves to be in the best interest of both the caregiver and their loved ones.
Here are some highlights of our center:
- Free-standing Memory Enhancement Center with two floors, providing a dedicated and spacious environment designed exclusively for comprehensive dementia care. This uniquely built structure ensures a focused and accessible setting, fostering a sense of security and familiarity for residents.
- Internationally recognized dementia care expert Laura Wayman, widely known as the Dementia Whisperer, imparts her invaluable expertise to our staff. Through her specialized training, our team gains not only knowledge but also practical skills in effective and compassionate dementia care.
- Our holistic care approach involves understanding everyone’s unique qualities and abilities in the present moment, allowing us to craft personalized activity and care plans tailored to the specific needs of each person.
The Hensel Memory Enhancement Center stands as a testament to our commitment to providing loving and engaging dementia care. We understand the unique challenges posed by memory-related conditions and strive to create an environment where residents receive the tailored support they deserve. Making the decision to move to our Memory Enhancement Center is a thoughtful choice that prioritizes the well-being and quality of life for both the individual and their dedicated caregivers.
At Hollenbeck Palms, we understand that memory loss is a challenge that extends beyond the individual experiencing it—it touches the lives of their loved ones as well. We recognize the profound impact on families, and as part of our commitment to holistic care, we provide resources and professional counseling to family members because we are all in this together.
Learn more about our center’s professional and compassionate support for residents living with advanced dementia symptoms here.